Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My trip to my primary care doctor.

So, we last left off around Christmas, 2007. My ER doc had done bloodwork and prescribed steroids, and admonished me to seek further treatment through my PCP. The insurance we had at that time, I did not have a PCP, but rather a clinic I was assigned to. Unless you made appts several weeks in advance with a specific doctor, you were stuck with whoever had clinic duty that day.
My ER doc had given me 3 days of prednisone at more of a higher-middle dosage, which made a noticible difference within 48 hours. I was to follow-up with Hoover Clinic (not their real name. I chose "hoover" as a pseudonym, because, as with the vacuum brand, they suck.) in 5-7 days. By the 5th day (so 2 days off the prednisone), I was breaking out much worse than I had been when I initially had my ER doc check it out. I went to Hoover Clinic. The doc I saw said it was nothing and that I was over-reacting, but that he'd prescribe me a prednisone taper if it would make me happy. I argued with him, showed him the paperwork from the ER, and even gave him Dr. A's phone number to call. He was still sure it was some kind of trauma (yeah, I FORGOT I had had my legs beaten) or just a fluke. Dumbass. I took the prednisone, in hopes of keeping things kinda under control, just until I could find another doctor.
During this time (meaning, the month of December) I had decided to start running again. I was doing 2-5 miles a day, and really running better than I had since high school. My goal was to do a half marathon the following summer. About a week after the Hoover CLinic visit, I started developing severe chest pain when I ran. And it went downhill from there....

No comments:

Post a Comment